71-year-old woman in Oak Park risks losing her home

Local organizations are mobilizing to help a woman in Sacramento who has been at risk of losing her home for decades.

SACRAMENTO, Calif .– Sacramento community leaders and organizations held a press conference Wednesday morning to speak on behalf of Wanda Clark, 71, who is at risk of losing her home.

“Today we are showing the city how we support our community,” said Rashid Sidqe, executive director of Lift Up Love Always, a nonprofit based in Sacramento.

“That’s kind of where I ended up,” Clark said at the press conference at his Oak Park home. “I always fight to stay home.”

Clark, who bought the house in 1995, said the problems started 10 years ago when a contractor started building an annex and then left the middle of his job, after she paid him 35 $ 000 using a home equity loan. Clark said at the time that she was unaware that construction was not allowed.

“He just let me get high and dry,” she said.

Since then, she has received letters and fines from the City of Sacramento for the unauthorized property, but said she was unable to pay or complete the work.

“I really tried to take care of it, but unfortunately for me my credit was bad and I couldn’t find anyone to help me,” Clark said. “I’m going to keep my lights and gas on. That was my priority.”

She said she was told to leave the house two years ago and that, in the most recent development, her house was placed in receivership, meaning that a third was managing the house. In this case, the receiver was selling the property.

“When they take me home, I have nowhere to live,” Clark said. ” I have no money. Where am I going ?

In a statement to ABC10, Peter Lemos, Code Compliance Officer for the City of Sacramento, said:

“The City of Sacramento understands and appreciates the sensitivity of this matter. City staff have worked with the landlord for over 10 years to bring the house back to living standards, waiving thousands of dollars in fees and helping repeatedly throughout the process. Unfortunately, the house remains in a dangerous condition for both the owner and the neighborhood. In addition to structural problems and the presence of toxic mold, the house has also become a place of illegal activity. At this point, the court decided that the house should be placed in receivership. Nonetheless, the City remains determined to continue its work to help achieve a positive outcome for the owner. “

Clark said the loss of her home would impact not only her but many of her family as well.

The Sacramento Chapter of the NAACP as well as Habitat for Humanity of Greater Sacramento were among the local organizations working to help Clark.

According to Habitat for Humanity CEO Leah Miller, who spoke at the press conference, one of the most common forms of elder abuse occurs at the hands of entrepreneurs private illegitimate and predatory. She said in her organization’s local repair jobs, at least 1/4 of the inquiries received were the result of work by predatory private contractors.

“This abuse is compounded by archaic and punitive municipal policies that aim to generate income and result in the displacement of owners of senior citizens’ residences, which adds to the gentrification of communities like here in Oak Park,” said Miller.

Along with the City of Sacramento statement, there was a timeline of the events they noted taking place at Clark’s property, since January 2011. The timeline includes several complaints received regarding the condition of the home and the attempts. made by the city code department to help Clark come into compliance. .

Stockton, a father of five who survived seven bullets, is released from hospital.

Source link

About Robert Valdivia

Robert Valdivia

Check Also

Hostility to the real estate private equity push is wrong

20 November 2021 “VOUTSIDE ULTURESRead one of the many placards held up by young demonstrators …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *