Real estate

Anton Cook fined $3,000 for punching elderly man unconscious over property dispute

A Mandurah man has been heavily fined after punching a man for ‘getting too involved’ in a property dispute involving his ex-girlfriend earlier this year.

Anton Cook, 38, faced Mandurah Magistrates Court on Friday charged with one count of assault causing bodily harm.

Lead prosecutor Constable Perst told the court Cook was at a residence in North Yunderup Road where his former girlfriend was living at around 9.30pm on January 17.

Your local newspaper, when you want it.

The victim, a 64-year-old man, was outside smoking when he saw Cook advancing aggressively.

It is believed the victim tried to calm Cook down before telling him his then-girlfriend needed to leave the property as soon as possible.

Cook punched the man in the face, knocking him to the ground unconscious and sustaining multiple injuries, including small fractures around his eye socket and abrasions to one side of his upper body.

The incident was captured on CCTV and the court received photographic evidence of the man’s injuries.

Cook’s attorney said that while his client regretted his actions, he felt he had to defend his girlfriend at the time.

“The complainant was actually provoking the victim rather than calming him down before the incident happened,” he said.

“The complainant is not the owner of the property and was becoming increasingly embroiled in the situation.”

In handing down her sentence, Magistrate Leanne Atkins said a fine was as far as she was willing to take the case.

“There’s no excuse for a younger person to act that way towards a much older man,” she said.

“Your lack of self-control caused him significant injuries that could have had a much more serious outcome.”

Cook was fined $3,000, with the amount to be paid directly to the victim.