House equity

Former state official sentenced to federal prison moved to ‘community confinement’

LOWELL — Former Lowell State Rep. David Nangle, sentenced last year to serve 15 months in federal prison on a host of corruption charges, is no longer in prison.

It is unclear exactly where Nangle is serving the remainder of his sentence.

According to the Federal Bureau of Prisons, on April 14, Nangle was transferred from Federal Medical Center in Devens “to community confinement supervised by the Bureau of Prisons’ (BOP) Philadelphia Residential Reentry Management (RRM) Office,” the gatekeeper said. -speak Donald Murphy in an email Wednesday.

The Pennsylvania field office’s jurisdiction includes all of New England, according to the BOP’s website.

“Community confinement means the inmate is either under house arrest or in a Residential Rehabilitation Center (RRC, or halfway house),” Murphy wrote in the email.

He declined to provide further details of Nangle’s transfer and his whereabouts.

“For reasons of confidentiality, safety and security, we do not discuss the conditions of a detainee’s detention, including transfers, reasons for transfers or plans for release, nor do we specify the specific location of an individual while in community confinement,” Murphy wrote.

Nangle, who represented Middlesex’s 17th District for 11 terms until overthrown by Vanna Howard in the 2020 Democratic primary, was indicted in February of that year on 28 federal corruption charges.

According to court documents, Nangle was heavily in debt and had credit and cash flow problems due to extensive gambling at various New England and online casinos, incurring tens of thousands of dollars in debt and losses. He illegally used campaign funds to pay personal expenses, defrauded a bank lender through multiple home and mortgage lines of credit secured by materially false loan applications, and collected income he did not reported to the Internal Revenue Service.

Nangle deceived his staff and treasurer, covered up his theft of campaign funds by filing false campaign finance reports, embezzled money by issuing checks to a straw seller, and was indebted to multiple business owners. businesses in the area from which he had borrowed money.

From 2014 to 2018, Nangle also received $27,000 and other benefits from a Billerica business owner in exchange for legislation that provided millions of dollars in tax credits for developers seeking to develop a business. property in Boston’s Seaport district.

On February 24, 2021, Nangle pleaded guilty to 10 counts of wire fraud, four counts of bank fraud, four counts of making false statements to a bank, and five counts of filing false tax returns. His original charges included five additional counts of making false statements to a bank, but the charges were consolidated as part of a plea deal.

On September 15, 2021, U.S. District Court Judge Rya Zobel sentenced Nangle to 15 months in prison, followed by two years of supervised release, and ordered him to pay $33,347 in restitution to the IRS and a forfeiture of $15,650.

Federal prosecutors had requested 18 months in prison and three years of supervised release, while Nangle’s attorney, Carmine Lepore, had requested a year of house arrest followed by three years of supervised release.

During his sentencing, an emotional Nangle issued numerous apologies, including to his family and constituents, acknowledging that he had “let them down”. He said he recognized he needed help and wanted to become a better person.

Nangle was ordered to report to the Bureau of Prisons on November 1, 2021 to begin his 15-month sentence. Had she been served in full, that sentence would have ended on February 1, 2023. However, according to Murphy, Nangle’s scheduled release date is November 11, 2022.

Lepore did not respond to requests for comment on Wednesday.

On Wednesday afternoon, a Sun reporter visited Nangle’s last known address on Trull Lane in Lowell. A couple who were leaving the house when the reporter arrived said Nangle no longer lived at the address. They did not provide any additional information.

Journalist Aaron Curtis contributed to this report.